Sunday, November 13, 2011

2007 Snowden Cabernet Sauvignon The Ranch (USA, California, Napa Valley)

Within the last line of my previous note, you will find this little nugget of wisdom: "Should drink well for the next 6 or so years.", so what do I do? I open one 375 days later, that's what.
30 minute decant. The color is intense and deep carmine. The edges show youth in all its glory. The nose shows pretty cola, lead pencil, black currant and black berries. There are hints of violets, clove and blueberry pie. Interesting. I find this more giving and lovely today than my last outing with it. I also find some drying in the mid-palate which worries me a tiny bit. Mouth-feel is plushy and medium weight with a deftly balanced amount of acidity. Tannins are humongous. In re-reading my last note, I can say the iron glove/velvet fist thing really is in play here--or is it iron fist/velvet glove? Anyway, it's here. Here is also where you find a longish finish and overall purity that almost makes up for the drying/alcohol thing. Almost. The Mike on my left shoulder says 91. He's the devil-Mike. On the other shoulder sits a 92. I feel like honoring the latter tonight because, hey, it's Friday. 92 pts

No comments: