Wednesday, February 2, 2011

2005 Slaughterhouse Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford)

Years back, I had read there was a petroleum depot or refinery located nearby Chateau Latour. I had also read that if you search hard enough, you can find traces of petrol in the wine. Now, I might not be the smartest wine-o around, but I know petrol is NOT something I want in my wine, either real or theorized. I went on to wonder what petrol might actually taste like?; it has taken me 25 years to find it but here it is, right now, in this wine. This is a big wine, bursting with fruit and goodness. Everything I would want in a Cabernet from Rutherford, and no, I can't find dust... I found the elusive petrol though. The nose was all bright black fruits of currant, pomegranate, plums, black cherry, blackberries and more. It's intense and boisterous, all while being brash and playful. There is a certain quality I have not, or never paid attention to here that is so in play, I can honestly say it endears me to this wine more. Initially the petrol came across somewhat like a petroleum jelly turn to fabrication/fakeness, but with air it awakened to add to the structure and overall pleasure of this wine. It is super structured with a mouth-feel that is lush and its tannins are oversized. I can see you all cringing, but don't; it's actually quite nice when all in balance and all in focus like this is tonight. I will even go further by saying this is very Paullliac-like, albeit young Paulliac-like. There is a cornucopia of 'stuff' here (Like the tea), almost too much to speak of, but since I have never been at a loss of words before, here tou go: creme de cassis, kirsch, new leather, lead pencil shavings, hints of vanilla, hints of cola, lavender, framboise, black cherries jubilee...BLACK. Had enough? It's long finish and lively acidity really makes this sing. And with song, comes dance. 93 pts

No comments: