Thursday, April 5, 2012

2009 Maybach Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Materium (USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville)

Oh Yeah, I did. :)This stuff is amazing..The nose is holding back some (da!). What you can coax out is a sweet (not cloying type) of black cherry and black raspberries. The elegance can be spotted on the nose alone. Hints of kirsch, boysenberry and Framboise are in play. The palate explodes with incredible balance, depth and beauty. If there is a hard edge in the house, I certainly can't feel it. Mouth-coating and medium weight, this creates a wave of intensity bringing on layer upon layer of pure black fruits. Hints of graphite, tar and spring flowers add real interest. Tannins are well defined and complicated, but the overall package is an alchemy of all things good, and all things previous vintages have brought forth; I get the elegance of the 2006, the intensity of the 2005, the poise and structure of the 2007 and the quiet flamboyancy of the 2004. (I have not had the 2008 yet!). The finish just goes on with those layered fruits revealing themselves even more. I love the hint of creaminess that flows through the middle of this. If you've been a fan, you will certainly smile when you get to sample this one. Enjoyable now, I won't touch another of my own for a year. That's not to say I won't of my own for a year ---and not to say I won't taste it for a year...... :) 96 pts

No comments: