Saturday, June 25, 2011

2001 Karl Lawrence Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Herb Lamb (USA, California, Napa Valley)

These are all about the nose. I opened this one outdoors and I tell you, the air immediately around me had the pretty smell of Cabernet perfume. If this had happened indoors, it would be tell-worthy, but outdoors? I let it sit for a few hours. I knew I did not need to sample it just on that.

This is pretty black with red tinged edges. On the nose there is the purest expression of black currant you would ever fins. There was some cola, cardamom, souy, new leather, hints of cocoa, and lead pencil. An amazing mouth-feel with deft balance and structure. Tannins are intricate and in control of all else here, in a good way. I love the purity and the perfume that shoots from the glass as you bring it in. Its long, and flamboyant without being heavy handed or obtrusive. These really are a perennial crowd pleaser. Just a enjoyable and fulfilling drink of wine, perfect for friends. 94 pts

No comments: