Tuesday, December 2, 2008

2005 Sorrel Canyon Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County)

Last year about this time I found the 2003 Sorrel Canyon Cabernet and recommended it to everyone I knew who liked Cabernet. Many many cases were sold and I even got 2 or 3 for myself. By New Years I was unable to find any more. I am happy to announce it's back and better than ever.

Ultra dark. A color not ever encountered in such an inexpensive wine. The nose has some sweet red currant and a certain flowery headiness that tells me there maybe a touch of Cab Franc in the mix. There are wonderful Bing cherries there as well. The palate has a wonderful mouth feel that is fruit forward and deftly balanced. The texture defies the price. There's allot going on here: cola nuts, vanilla, Chinese apple, tar, and black cherry. The tannins are very agreeable and soft and the acid is a touch high on the end, but this wine carries it nicely. I like this better than last years '03 (and that's a feat in itself). It has more elegance, structure and class. Not the longest finish ever, but you know what? We can forgive something....no?
You will be hard pressed to find a better deal for $12. Hard pressed. Super QPR two years running. 92/100

No comments: